Call us to set up an appointment! 719-599-8783

The Chiropractic TRUhealthDR Treats Post-Back-Surgery Back Pain with Cox® Technic for Pain Relief

Back surgery isn’t always necessary to get rid of back pain. According to Adogwa et al, less than 1% of 497,822 lumbar spinal stenosis or spondylolisthesis patients required back surgery. (1) What do the other 99% require? Pain relief. Reassurance and knowledge of their condition. Gentle treatment. A solid treatment plan. The Chiropractic TRUhealthDR has such a plan for Colorado Springs post-back-surgery, failed back surgery syndrome, continued back pain (choose your term!) patients that integrates safe, doctor-supervised, patient-engaged chiropractic care via The Cox® Technic System of Spinal Pain Management.

BACK PAIN RELIEF AFTER BACK SURGERY

Certain researchers in the medical profession want to discard their descriptive phrase “failed back surgical syndrome” for “persistent spinal pain syndrome type 2.” For such patients with pain after back surgery with a laminectomy, discectomy, or fusion who sought chiropractic spinal manipulation for relief, numeric pain rating scale (0-10/worst-pain scale) scores dropped from 6.6 to 0.6 and Oswestry Disability Index (0 to 100/worst-pain scale) scores fell from 43.8 to 2.4. At 12 months’ post chiropractic care (multi-modal chiropractic care with flexion-distraction amid the treatments), 48% retained their improvement, 42% experienced a recurrence, 10% were inaccessible for follow up. (2) A retrospective review of 32 cases of post-lumbar spine surgery pain patients documented numeric pain score changes from 6.4 to 2.3 (on a 10 point scale) for a 4.1 decrease in pain. No adverse events were seen for any of the postsurgical patients in this review with the mean number of treatments being 14. Chiropractic care integrated the delivery of Cox® flexion distraction. (3) A prospective study of 69 post-surgical continued pain patients who still had back pain after back surgery were treated by 15 chiropractors. All followed protocols of the Cox® Technic System of Spinal Pain Management. 50% or more relief of pain at the end of active care was reported for 81% of the patients. The mean number of days of care was 49 days and treatments was 11. A 24-months’ follow up found that 56 patients were available. 78.6% of them had continued pain relief greater than 50%. Mean pain relief at end of care was 71.6 and 70 at 2-years follow-up. 43% had not sought more care in 2 years. 32 patients had: 17 of them went through chiropractic manipulation, 8 had PT, exercise, injections, and medication; 5 went through further surgery. (Bottomline: Greater than 50% relief of back pain following back surgery was reached for 81% of patients in 11 visits over 49 days.) (4) Colorado Springs back pain sufferers who have already undergone back surgery may welcome these outcomes for themselves! The Chiropractic TRUhealthDR is prepared to help.

KNOWLEDGE OF BIOMECHANICAL CHANGES

To stick to a plan, all involved must be aware of what is going to happen to bring about pain relief. A study calculated the short-term effect of flexion distraction spinal manipulation on various spinal elements of patients with lumbar degenerative disc disease (DDD). Intervertebral disc height was enlarged from 6.32 to 6.93. Back pain decreased from 69.17 to 48.48. Lumbar spine mobility recovered as it changed from 17.37 to 12.69 (bent over with fingers stretching toward the floor). Passive straight leg raise improved from 46.94 to 56.01. (5) These are desired and documented changes with gentle, safe Colorado Springs chiropractic care.

CONTACT The Chiropractic TRUhealthDR

Listen to this PODCAST with Dr. David Atiyeh on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson as he illustrates the relief with The Cox® Technic System of Spinal Pain Management for a patient who’d gone through back surgery and still had back pain.

Schedule your Colorado Springs chiropractic appointment now. Back surgery isn’t the only option for many with back pain. And for those who have already undergone back surgery, the non-surgical approach with chiropractic may finally deliver the pain relief you want.

 
The Chiropractic TRUhealthDR uses Cox® Technic to relieve back pain and enhance function in post-back-pain patients as well as those with back pain who haven’t undergone back surgery.  
« View All Featured Articles
"This information and website content is not intended to diagnose, guarantee results, or recommend specific treatment or activity. It is designed to educate and inform only. Please consult your physician for a thorough examination leading to a diagnosis and well-planned treatment strategy. See more details on the DISCLAIMER page. Content is reviewed by Dr. James M. Cox I."